Monday, August 6, 2007

Grand Canyon Arizona daily oil painting


NFS
"Back in the Saddle Again!" It feels good to be back to the easel. During our vacation in the Southwest, I was consumed with its beauty and couldn't wait to put it in painting. Many times I thought of the many artists throughout history that have painted what New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado have to offer. Especially one of my favorites, Edgar Payne. Here is a 6"x6" oil on primed masonite painting that I completed this morning. One of my first views of the Grand Canyon's south rim. I loved looking through the scrubby vegetation on the very edge out into the vast canyon. It helps give a sense of its amazing size.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting. The colors are great. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting--takes me right back to my visits to The Grand. Terrific lighting and heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice piece. I'm anxious to see what else comes from your trip.

    If you ever feel like coming back to CO, just give a shout. There are plenty of painters here and we love a chance to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting - it has a Cezanne feel to it. I'm vacationing in Colorado right now - you're right about the weather - it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to visiting this area again next winter. You have zoned in on the desert atmosphere beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much friends! Your kind words are all very encouraging! ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Heidi lovely paintings of the west.We visited Arizona and Nevada last year from the UK First time in the states really great!Have tried some paintings of the canyon really hard to put such a vast panorama down on small scale.

    ReplyDelete