Thursday, June 21, 2007

Zesto Ice Cream Stand Vintage Sign daily painting oil


sold

6"x6" oil on primed artist board. This nostalgic ice cream stand located on Broadway is one of my town's mainstays. I believe it is part of a franchise and it has been around for as long as I can remember. It is always a sure sign that summer is around the corner when the boards are taken down from the windows and the open sign is out. As with yesterday's painting, my goal was to stay fresh and pure with minimal brushstrokes. Thanks for looking. Available for purchase along with many more on this page and in the archives listed at the right. More interesting info: I just googled Zesto Ice Cream to find out that the first one was in Evansville, IN in 1949. It was a franchise that died young but a few are still around and locally owned, so the name lives on. Some Zestos that still exist are located in Atlanta, GA, Colmbia, SC and Kansas City. Please let me know if there is one in your area, by leaving a comment. Thanks

8 comments:

  1. You've GOT TO GO TO PARIS Heidi!
    Fun ice cream stands there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work and great handling of the medium. This painting brings back some good memories, I also want to thank you for the kind words and thoughts.

    GS

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi I've been drawn to your paintings since you "burst upon the DP scene" but I just wanted to say that your work lately has just really blossomed. I can't quite pinpoint what it is but it really is beautiful. I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG- this one is really delightful - and nostalgic ...of all those wonderful eateries that foodies (like me) love to visit - where-ever in America they happen to be. This one is an altogether GEM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Albany, Oregon we have an ice cream corner with the same shaped building and a sign with the cone. It is called Tasty Freeze. There used to be one in Lebanon, Oregon but it was torn out because the city decided to enlarge the road. I think the one in Albany may not be forever too. I have sudden urge to encourage the painters of Albany to go paint it with me. Thanks for giving me the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A slice of Americana. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete