Friday, June 29, 2007

Girl Portrait painting a day Sun kissed


"Sun kissed"

6"x6" oil on primed masonite. I could title this "The Painting that Almost Wasn't" It's Friday morning and I knew I had to get up extra early to have time to paint because I told the kids that we could to visit the zoo today. So I quietly go downstairs to set up and realized I was out of prepared artboard. I knew I didn't have time to prepare any or paint on a larger piece with little time. I always have a few "rejects" that need sanded and painted over or a painting that was started and set aside to most likely never make it to a finished stage. I started one of my daughter when she was quite a bit younger, it was only a sketch, I picked it up and figured I would paint over it. But, when I sat it on my easel I became inspired to finish it, so I dug out a photo of my daughter. I keep a picnic basket of reference photos under my easel. This painting today was a pleasant surprise, one that I didn't plan on doing and probably would have been painted over eventually. So Cheers to those little paintings that just seem to happen!





4 comments:

  1. glad you finsihed it-- it's pretty solid and has a nice feeling. You might consider a darker background that will get you a little more contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the intensity of feeling coming from the eyes. I am afraid if the background was darkened as William sugested the whole face would need adjusting to keep the intensity of feeling in the eyes.

    ReplyDelete