Monday, March 5, 2012

Carol Marine's Challenge Landscape Contemporary Impressionism Heidi Malott

"A New Day"
sold
Daily Paintworks Challenge
6x6" oil on primed masonite

I think this is the first online "challenge" I have participated in.  One very nice thing about a challenge is the idea is laid out for you one way or another.  This works great for those days where you are just not sure what you want to paint.  Some days I can spend more time trying to figure out what to paint than actually painting and since my time is oh so limited I love the idea of a painting challenge.  This one comes from a photograph by Carol Marine on http://www.dailypaintworks.com/Challenge/07405BA5-CC99-4620-8C29-E84FAF4F2B89

The picture is a horse in a beautiful landscape and like Carol mentions you could paint the horse in this landscape or just the landscape, or just the horse, I guess.  I think I will try painting the horse later this week.  Thanks for the "challenge" Carol.

This was one of those paintings that I could just keep tweaking it here and there, I had to tell myself to stop and leave it alone :D

Honestly, I could paint a couple different layouts from this photo.  The ideas are endless.  If you follow the link you can see what I mean.  It is fun to see the different artist's interpretations. 

6 comments:

  1. Its beautiful, Heidi! I especially like the blue you added at the bottom. That lifts the whole painting. Btw, I totally understand the problem of choosing a subject to paint and spending mnore time over that than painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great painting! I keep seeing progress and and evolution to your work and am loving it! Great colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joseph. Thank you for the encouraging words. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the landscape, I love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete