Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Rural Impressions Skies Landscapes Heidi Malott



"Rural Impressions"

6x6 oil on masonite


You may have noticed similarities in the brushwork of the last few paintings.  I have been playing around with a small brush with a long handle rather than the medium to larger brushes I usually use.  I have been trying to stand back with arm extended holding the brush like an extension of my arm rather than tightly like a pencil and using the wrist.   These technical things make a difference.  Keeps the work loose and free.  With the smaller brush, however, slows me down a bit to fill that panel with thoughtful yet playful strokes.  The brushstrokes felt like individual musical notes coming together to form one shape.   I am having fun putting more thought into these things and letting the paint fly!  Helps to keep things fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment