Saturday, September 24, 2016

Seaside Storm Clouds and Seagulls Contemporary Impressionism Heidi Malott


"Seaside Storm Clouds and Seagulls"
oil on panel
6x6"

Sometimes when nothing seems to go right in the studio I come down to two choices.  Either paint through it or put the brush down and walk away.  Last week I had a lot on my plate and must have brought it with me to the easel.  Because nothing seemed to flow.  I guess I tried both choices.  Three scraped paintings later I cleaned up and shut the studio door behind me.

After a few days and a few paintings later I picked up the 3 panels and decided one may be salvageable.   The other two will be painted over.  Today's painting had some features that I liked.  The muted tones and the brushstrokes were not overworked yet.  So this is what I came up with.  It is fresh, clean and has a nice mood to it.  I have quite a little pile of misfits that I leaf through and every once in a while I can save one, but most of these do get painted over.

2 comments: